Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Feelin' the Burn

I'm still working out 3-4 times a week; some at home but mostly here at work. Like I've said, we use part of our lunch to hit the Healthy Living Center located on the campus of this hospital.

At left is a picture I shot with my phone of my ride today. I've been trying to mix up the rides for two reason. 1) to keep me interested and 2) somedays I have more gusto then others.

Today's route was a flat one. I felt like riding at one consistent level. I try to shoot for rides that are between 20 and 30 minutes. This one was listed as between 20 and 25 minutes. As you can see, I did it in 17:43. *sigh. I made up the difference by riding it a little longer to get over the hump.

The other thing you should notice from the picture is how it records your achievements. You start with a goal of making the equivalent of a marathon, then a double marathon and it would appear now that I'm shooting for the century mark. My guess is that I have logged 67 miles so far on this machine. No wonder my knee hurts.

The diet continues to go pretty well. I might just need to write a book about it. The "Soup for Lunch" diet is the bomb! I stick to soup in the cafeteria almost every day. I think the real key to this is just making better choices. Soup is usually pretty low cal, heck even the fatty ones aren't as bad as some of the entrees. Yesterdays soup was one of my favorites: Bow tie Turkey. A turkey soup with bow tie noodles. When they prepare it here, it tops out at 99 calories a bowel. Sweet! Today's soup was another winner for me...Hamburger Rice. 190 calories/bowel. The great thing about soup is that you get that nice warm feeling in your tummy that stays with you for most of the afternoon. A light snack later and I'm good to supper.

What are things that you have changed to make yourself healthier? Are you on any diet or winging it like me? Is it possible to enjoy Thanksgiving without eating too much or shouldn't I really care? (I'm voting for not really caring)

I'd love to hear stories about positive changes people are making. There is always ways we can improve. Let me hear it!

No comments: